December 16, 2010

day 16: friendship

friendship. how has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

one of my dear friends, Joy, has a huge heart for missions. Africa specifically. she has been to several countries and not just because Africa is the "trendy" missions place right now. her heart truly breaks for the orphans. to me, she is the embodiment of James 1:27 "pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress..."

her desire and commitment to bring the Gospel of God's grace and healing to the children and their families challenges me to take a wider perspective. i get absorbed in my life and the challenges i face on a daily basis to the neglect of people around the world who are facing life and death challenges. i'm convicted of how i spend my money. how i spend my time. how i pray. how i reach out. how i share. how i invest. i have been entrusted with much. and while i may not be the one physically going to Africa to visit the orphans and widows, i still play a role in bringing hope.

Helen Keller once said, "i am only one, but still i am one. i cannot do everything, but still i can do something; and because i cannot do everything, i will not refuse to do the something that i can do." my perspective is wide. my gaze fixed on the Cross. my heart broken on their behalf. i will do something.

bekah

live unashamedly. laugh uncontrollably. love unconditionally.

1 comment:

Becca Christensen said...

Beautifully written Bek. Loved it.