May 31, 2013

that's not me...

i have to give creative credit for this post to a coworker. he used this idea for his dad's eulogy and i thought it was incredibly creative and meaningful. so i stole it. but i just confessed, so i feel better about it.

you might think you know me, but you don't. you see, what you see isn't me. it's all the people that make me who i am. don't believe me? just keep reading...

if you see me drinking hot tea, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me baking banana bread, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me shed a tear, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me serving others tirelessly, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me playing tennis, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me eating cereal as a late night snack, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me enjoying a walk along the beach, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me choosing to simply wear mascara, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me drinking grapefruit juice, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me holding a hanger with my mouth to hang up clothes, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me doing a crossword, sudoku, or newspaper word games, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me wearing furry socks, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me organizing an event, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me watching mystery shows, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me reading a book, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me collecting quotes, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you hear me singing a Bible verse from memory, that's not me...that's my mom.
if you see me re-fill a water bottle and stick it in the fridge, that's not me...that's my mom.

* * * * * * 

if you see me leading well, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me living with integrity, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me discipling and pouring into the lives of teens, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me loving God's Word, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me loving every type of sport, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me watching football on a sunday afternoon, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me coaching, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you hear me say, 'it'll just take a minute' and then it takes an hour, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me clearing the table after a meal, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me push you to be your best, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me believing the best in others, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me wearing crocs, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me arriving early, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me napping in the recliner, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me detailing my car, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me watching Top Gun and Mask of Zorro, that's not me...that's my dad.
if you see me eating tortilla chips with salsa or peanut butter, that's not me...that's my dad.

* * * * * * 

if you see me empathizing with your pain, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me forgiving you without fail, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you get a thoughtful gift or card, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me get excited about new workout clothes, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me with a great smoky eye, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me wearing dangly earrings, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me drinking coffee, that's not me...that's my sister.
if you see me wearing heels, that's not me...that's my sister.

* * * * * *

if you see me loving to travel the world, that's not me...that's my mimi.
if you see me browsing department store sale racks, that's not me...that's my mimi.
if you see me enjoying a mcdonald's hamburger and fries, that's not me...that's my mimi.
if you see me taking off my shoes to be shorter in a picture, that's not me...that's my mimi.
if you see me wiping down the countertops, that's not me...that's my mimi.

* * * * * *

if you see me eating banana pudding, that's not me...that's my gran.
if you hear me singing 'Silver Bells' in an accent, that's not me...that's my gran.
if you see me volunteering in my community, that's not me...that's my gran.
if you hear me cracking jokes, that's not me...that's my gran.
if you see me serving my church, that's not me...that's my gran.

you see, it's not me you see at all.

bekah

live unashamedly :: laugh uncontrollably :: love unconditionally.

No comments: