February 1, 2011

ballistic bings

i woke up this morning to a crazy series of bings on my iphone. normally i'd be slightly annoyed that my phone was going ballistic just minutes before my scheduled alarm, but not today. today, in the midst of my sleep stupor, i grinned from ear to ear and felt extremely blessed. and then i rolled back over and conked out until my alarm went off.

the crazy series of bings was a string of text messages from a very dear friend who was sharing some thoughts in response to a recent study of David and his friendships. i won't share her name, but here's what she said this morning.

"To my few uncommon friends: I am studying God's work through David
right now and I just finished reading about David's uncommon friendship with
Jonathan in 1 Sam. 20 and how God knitted their spirits together (1 Sam. 18:1).
I am so thankful for your friendship and how we are knit together by the
Spirit of God (Eccl. 4:9-12). Thank you for the times we have prayed together,
laughed together, and cried together. I praise God that every time I have left you,
I feel strengthened and encouraged and challenged in the faith (Rom. 12:15).
I love you! You are my iron (Prov. 27:17)."

what a great way to wake up!! my friends continue to blow me away with their commitment to the Lord and how they pursue Him above all else. that passion trickles down into our relationship and is such a tremendous blessing to me. they sharpen me daily.

in the midst of my crazy life right now, i realize how important it is to surround myself with people who are mutually encouraging as Paul says in Romans 1:12. as much as my relationship-craving self wants to maintain as many friendships as possible, i'm realizing that depth is more valuable to me than breadth right now. focusing on a few relationships and doing them well is my priority as opposed to trying to maintain as many as possible. that's a tough one for a girl like me to swallow.

but that being said, friends like this one are invaluable. i'm blessed to have her and several others like her in my life right now. i hope you have a few too.

bekah

live unashamedly :: laugh uncontrollably :: love unconditionally.

No comments: