November 4, 2013

dear mom

dear mom,

i'm 27 now, but you know that. i'm your firstborn and i don't think you could ever forget my early arrival while dad was coaching out of state. it was just my way of letting you know i'd never be late for anything and that you could always count on me.

the older i get, the more i hear just how much i look like you. i take it as a compliment because, mom, you really are beautiful. not in a put together, hair and makeup just right, trendy clothes kind of way. but in a confident, simple, winsome, first-things-first kind of way. you've never made a big fuss about outward appearances; inner beauty has always been more important to you. i know i've learned this from you if for no other reason than i find myself simply wearing mascara and lipstick most days like you. well, chapstick in my case but same idea.

mom, you're a doer and a giver. you've shown me what it looks like to serve, support, and submit wholeheartedly as a wife. someday that'll come in handy. and thanks to you, i also know how to make a house a home. your humility and generosity inspire me. most importantly, i owe you an eternal debt of gratitude for nurturing me both physically and spiritually. our conversation in mimi's driveway as a toddler changed my eternal address. i'm forever grateful.

i love you. happy birthday!!

bekah

[1989]

[2010]

live unashamedly :: laugh uncontrollably :: love unconditionally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! It inspires me to love my daughter (and my boys) well!

Missing you here in Branson!

Love,
Anonymous