December 13, 2012

Live Second: Treasure

(click image to purchase book)

[this week, i'll be blogging about the new book, Live Second: 365 Ways to Make Jesus First by doug bender. big thanks to doug for the opportunity to preview this devotional and help spread the word. this is post 3 of 4.]

straddle the fence. one foot in, one foot out. double minded. do these describe you?

if i'm honest (which, why wouldn't i be?), i have to admit that i do the hokey pokey on a daily basis. not so much the actual dance that was oh so popular on the roller skating rink as a kid, but the one where i can't decide where my loyalties lie. i've got one foot in and one foot out. my mouth says one thing, but my hands and feet say another. my heart is divided.

"no one can serve two masters. either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. you cannot serve both God and money."
[matthew 6:24]

 i serve two masters. how do i know?

my thought life, for one. the thoughts that consume my in-between moments are not ones of gratitude for what the Lord has done. they're not prayerful. they're not eternally focused. they're trivial in comparison...the next task on the list. plans for this. details for that. need to call so-and-so after work. run this errand on lunch. you get the picture.

none of those thoughts are bad in and of themselves. but it's a problem when they consume more of my time than thoughts of scripture, God's faithfulness, God's goodness, and how I can serve others.

God isn't fooled by my weekly lip service. He knows where my true loyalty lies. i spend far more time worrying about bills, trading in my car, getting married, saving money, looking cute and trendy for work, scouring pinterest for new craft and organizing ideas. blah blah blah. trivial.

God isn't my main concern. my relationship with Him is taken for granted. other things become more thought worthy than Him and the truth of His Word. sad. but when i find myself in this place, i always go back to David's cry and echo his words...

"teach me Your way, O Lord, and i will walk in Your truth;
give me an undivided heart, that i may fear Your name."
[psalm 86:11]

give me an undivided heart that i may fear Your name. yes, Lord, yes. may the cry of my heart be, "give me, Lord, my daily bread." may i fill my mind with scripture and meditate on His goodness and faithfulness. may i cultivate a grateful heart and only serve one Master. may my thoughts be consumed by eternal treasure and not by the trinkets of this world.

bekah

live unashamedly :: laugh uncontrollably :: love unconditionally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bekah,
I appreciate your response to the Holy Spirit working in your life and your honesty with yourself. I know that there is a lot more that can be said about that subject matter, but I thought that I would remind you of a verse that means a lot to me when thinking about your thought patterns and Who you server (ultimately).

Philippians 4: 8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

As you said, those things that you do think about such as work or crafts or walking your dog or getting married or whatever; if they are definitely against one of those things listed above, then definitely don't do it, but if it isn't against one or more of those things, AND you can do it to God's glory, those are the things we should be doing.

Paul nor God wanted us to be robots and we are told that we have to live life and to do it excellently (so that we can give God the glory), so "GO" and DO - but make sure you can give God the glory ultimately.

Keep up the great work on these blogs and I really hope that you continue on with the Live Second program even after the blogging stops for the promo. I think I can see it doing you a lot of good.

Thank you again for sharing.
Mark Davis
http://christiansareus.wordpress.com

bekah brinkley said...

Thanks for your feedback and for taking the time to stop by, Mark. Appreciate it!