June 2, 2012

wherever you are


this quote by Jim Elliot is one of my all-time faves. a friend passed it along to me back in college and it stuck. there are days in my life that i'd rather be doing other things (can i get an amen?!). or moments during my days when i'd rather be somewhere else. but for whatever reason, i am where i am. and my job is to be present in that moment. to give my full attention to the person across from me and keep my mind focused on the now.

there's a time a place for dreaming and setting goals, but that's not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about being present with the people around you. being engaged. adding value to the conversation, to the moment. not being a knot on a log with your nose in your phone. we've all done it, but it's rude. and it's selfish to be quite honest. because it communicates,

"you are less important and less valuable to me than this game i'm playing, this tweet i'm sending, or this text i'm reading on my phone."

i witnessed this one day recently and it frustrated me to no end. sadly, the offender had no idea she was offending. she was completely caught up in her phone world. a missed opportunity to engage with friends around her. a missed opportunity to be part of a community.

okay, i'll step off my little soap box for now. my apologies. and for those of you that see me on a regular basis, i will purpose to be more present when i'm with you. you have my word.

bekah

live unashamedly :: laugh uncontrollably :: love unconditionally.

No comments: